dinsdag 24 september 2013

Terrarium

Still going strong: Pensioner David Latimer from Cranleigh, Surrey, with his bottle garden that was first planted 53 years ago and has not been watered since 1972 - yet continues to thrive in its sealed environment 
(source: Daily Mail)

Quite a few months ago Big Man sent me a  link about a closed terrarium. A plant that has been growing for over 40 years sealed shut in a bottle. The story is awesome, and the whole idea seemed a very nice one to experiment with together with some students but somehow it slipped out of my mind. Really, how could I have forgot? A whole ecosystem in a glass bottle!

Until Monday when I saw a lovely pin of a closed terrarium on my Pinterest wall. The whole idea came back but it still seems a bit too adventuruous at the moment. You need quite a bit of special equipment for it and those beautiful big glass bottles aren't cheap. Maybe one day...

So I decided to try an open terrarium! They look nice and simple, and they should be low maintenance because they retain moisture more than in open pots if you pick a container that is several inches higher than your plants.

This is what you need:
Glass jar/container
Small pebbles
Soil
Baby plants


I bought some pebbles at the local gardening centre and used a glass container which was doing nothing on a bookshelf. I also bought three little baby plants, but if I ever am going to make a closed terrarium, these plants will really need to be baby baby plants. The little plant on the right was too big!


Meanwhile, I was busy anyway, I also transferred another very sad plant to a bigger pot and I really hope that he will flourish a bit. I am not terribly good with plants as I always forget to water them or give them plant food.... Maybe he will forgive me and grow a bit taller and wider!

 

Two out of three baby plants got into the open container but I have to tell you, it was quite an adventure to position them correctly. I really need to figure out how to get them into a big bottle.....
 
  

Doesn't it look lovely? I hope they will grow slowly (as they should be doing) and will not need much water. I am so pleased with how it looks!


The third baby plant got its own glass yar with some pebbles and soil and we'll see how he does.

 

I also completely cleaned out my kitchen window and here's how it looks! I threw out my old watering can and am now using a thrifted coffee can. I love love love it. I don't know why I thought of this sooner!

If I have sparked your interest, I have collected more information on my Flora board on my Pinterest wall!

 



5 opmerkingen:

  1. I just happen to have two of these big bottles ... Is there a chance you could fetch one? :-)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hmm I think there are quite a bit of kilometers between us :) I live in the western part of the Netherlands :) thank you so much for offering! I am keeping my eyes open for large containers in thrift shops/garden centers!

      Verwijderen
  2. I think this is a wonderful idea, but could it be done with something that will grow in the shade? I live right up against a mountain in N. Carolina and we get very little direct sunlight. I have no plants in my house right now because I don't have hardly any sunlight. Got any ideas? love Carol

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi Carol,
      I think you can just try with a little container. Maybe one plant in a jar (that is what I am going to do in the nearby future). They must not be placed in direct sunlight because otherwise they will lose the moist environment they need and dry out. They only need indirect sunlight. Most plants don't like it anyway.
      Let me know if you give it a try!
      Barbara

      Verwijderen

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx