maandag 21 januari 2013

Unpinned: Choco Speculoos (Biscoff) Brownies

Over a week ago I went grocery shopping at the Jumbo. Not my normal supermarket, so I looked at a lot of new products.

One of the things I took home is Crisco. Read a lot about it, but did not know where to find it! Now I can try to make another version of creme au beurre for pies.

Also, one product I took home was Alpro Soja Whipped Cream. Yes you read it right: whipped cream. Finally I can indulge in whipped cream! You have to whip it up yourself but it gives a nice, firm whipped cream which is actually delicious. Yay!


And last but not least: Choco Speculoos. Normally choco paste or anything Nutella-like is out of the question for me becaus it always contain diary in some sort of way. Milk proteins, milk powder, pure lactose, you name it. There are alternatives with carobe, but it doesn't taste the same.

But the label on the jar only said: "Made in factories where also nuts and milk is used" (I hope I translated it correctly).

If I see this sentence I know I can try it. I am a bit weary about products on which the label says "May contain traces of milk", but the sentence on Choco Speculoos I mostly trust. If you are extremely lactose intolerant I would not recommend, then I would recommend to buy an alternative at the whole food store!

What I really wanted to do was make some brownies. I already knew that speculoos (or Biscoff as it is known in the US) can be used for pie, and I found some recipes for speculoos brownies.

But this was CHOCO speculoos, so I went off and found a recipe for Nutella Brownies which I pinned on my Cooking board.

Tried and tested now!

I had to alter the recipe a bit, but what came out of the oven was a nice light brown cake-like product.



You have to know, I have almost zero experience with brownies (because of the lactose tolerance) and when I tasted it I really had to think about how it tasted. It is chewy, a bit crunchy, a bit teeth-sticking sweet cake. And since it is Choco-speculoos it has a bit of a nutty flavour.
After four pieces I decided I like it. It is different! Big Man was a bit more negative as he absolutely loves brownies. I think if I would give it a star-rating it would get 3 out of 5 stars. Not uberly extremely good, but good.



Here is the recipe, have fun and let me know how your Choco Speculoos Brownies taste!

75 gram all purpose flour (I used self raising flour, it gives a bit more airy brownies I think)
220 grams of sugar
280 grams of choco speculoos
75 grams plant based butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Follow the recipe for the Nutella Brownies:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (that is 175 degrees Celsius!).
  1. In a small bowl combine flour and salt and set aside.
  2. Using an electric mixer blend butter until light and fluffy. Mix in sugar, eggs, vanilla and mix well followed by Nutella and stir until mixture is creamy. Stir in flour mixture.
  3. Pour into a greased 8-inch square brownie pan and bake for 30-37 minutes. Cool pan on wire rack.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

I would love it if you leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting xXx